Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sketchbook Challenge



I've been invited by Sue Bleiweiss to join a sketchbook challenge group starting in January 2011. I've never been particularly good at joining groups or making art according to someone else's direction, but I checked out the other artists in the group, and they look absolutely inspiring! I'll post a reminder early in the year so you won't forget to join in the challenge. I've got to choose which kind of sketchbook I will use. Shall I make one by hand? Get a spiral bound one?

Meanwhile, I am still working in collage painting, and would like to incorporate subject matter into my work. I have found Katherine Dunn's book, Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed Media Artists, a real inspiration. Her style is SO different from mine, yet I feel a real connection to her work. Above are a couple of pieces I've done recently that are directly inspired by Katherine. I hope to evolve this into something more my own.

8 comments:

  1. I love you work.
    A pity I live in another country, it would be amazing to follow one of your workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, MarjaS! I will be offering workshops online starting this spring. So stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you may not know it, Jane, but I am hooked on your collage book and love your work. I discovered the Sketchbook Challenge through Diana Trout (Hub Bub) whose book also inspires me and I've 'signed on' for the 1st Jan. It will be marvellous to be a part of such a diverse group; all sparking ideas off each other; for learning and inspiration never stop there's always a twist around the corner, is there not! (P.S. I tried to click on your dream house collage logo and it would not load. I am enamoured of the house as a visual symbol and would love to investigate). Ann from UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane this is bliss! I love the colours..and good for you for joining in on something that you found inspirational.....I have been meaning to join something...looks like fun..but can never seem to find the time to do so....

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness...these colors & shapes
    are deliciously inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is very exciting. I'm so glad to meet you via Sketchbook Challenge. Love the color studies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, from a fellow New Englander-now bearing it in Fort Myers, FL! :) I'm originally from the Berkshires; Lenox, MA precisely...three things made me stop and look your blog over. 1. an email from Fiber Arts, talking about a sketch group (?), 2. you're an educator and from Vermont! 3. and not least: Your Art is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!! It is rich in color, has enchanting subject matter, and is truly intriguing! I'm also a teacher. I have my Masters in Education; in Reading Comprehension, I'm also an exhibiting mixed media artist and writer. I hope you'll check out my blog, perhaps become a follower, and please,leave a comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to be invited to join a group. I think you should definitely make you own book because you make beautiful books!

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!